Monday, June 27, 2011

US game today!.....and the Scooby Doo mummy.


Greeting Earthlings.

The Tram, to us it's a Light Rail train.

Frankfurt is a city of trains. The U-Bahn, The S-Bah, The Tram, The Baunhof, the Hauptbahnhof and dont' forget the  Deutschbahn.  We ride the S9 train to work every day. It’s a short, 2 stop jaunt and quite convenient, since the Frankfurt Central Station is directly across the street from our hotel, a mere 20 second walk. I can handle that.
 
Completed in 1888, the Hauptbahnhof (central station), is the most important rail transport hub in Germany. Every day, more than 1,100 trains connect the city with many national and international destinations and around 700 suburban railway trains take passengers to stations within Frankfurt and the surrounding area. In terms of railway traffic, it is the busiest railway station in Germany. With about 350,000 passengers per day the station, it is the second busiest railway station in Germany and one of the most frequented in Europe.   I must have been mistaken.  I thought Bahnhof was a tribute to Karla Bonoff . Remember her hit from 1982???    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVFCohCpEF8


GAME REMINDER-
Tomorrow (or today. whatever.  Tues, June 28) the US Plays the mis-named Peoples Republic of Korea at 9aPT on ESPN. (that’s North Korea…I had to ask, also.)  The US has never lost a group stage match, going 13-0-2 with a +39 goal difference.  They really need a strong showing to give them momentum, as they begin a quest to win their first Women’s World Cup since 1999. Watch for the scoring machine of Abby Wambach to create opportunities and take chances, while Hope Solo holds steady in net.
also today (or is tomorrow, I'm confused), Columbia takes on Sweden.  I could go in depth about this one, but it all boils down to Drug Runners vs 11 clones of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets!

In today's action, Mexico's Ocampo launched a 30 yard rocket (a la Diego Forlan in last year's Mens Cup) to tie England 1-1.  As much as we don't like ties, it's OK here.  In the first round of group play, it gives 1 point to Mexico that it shouldn't have gained.  Earlier, Myama bent it like what's-his-face on a free kick to give Japan a 2-1 one victory over New Zealand.  With Japan's Tsunami and New Zealand's earthquake, both teams needed some healing, which played out in some emotional moments in the pre-game.



Inspired by TK’s Joburg PB&J Special, I gave mine a European touch by adding the worlds finest condiment- Nutella!
for you do-it-yourself Better Crocker types, here's the recipe: spread favorite peanut butter on wheat bread. Top with peanuts or trail mix, add Nutella to other side, fold over and enjoy.  Pairs nicely with a bold cup o joe or hot chocolate!


Recently in the NY Times..and here in the International Herland.

No, Ms Bonoff is NOT today's Music of the day.  That comes from our EIC.  Ahim Turk recommends some hard Deutsch rock. As he mentioned the band Rammstein, my fellow EVS op Erick The Valdes clicked his iTunes on cue to give us some instant pick-me-up tunes!

In order to really bring you along with me, I've attempted to create a Google Place map:
It’s not very populated with points yet. (Give me a break! I’ve only been here a week.)  I’ll keep ya updated.  If you are really bored, you can click the Satellite icon on the top right, or even try the Google Earth app.

Captain Coy and his Graphic Gypsies enjoy the sun at lunch.

Dallmayr- German for Mediocre Catered Coffee























Overheard on the set- German A2 testing a mic “last night, I go to Chicago concert. they play my favorite song’ Then he sings it in thick, German accented English, “If you leave me now, you take away the greatest part of me…” (slow dance time) wow, never thought I’d hear that this month!


 


 
Do you think Saki Kumagai of Japan has been watching a bit too much of the Scooby Doo Mummy episode? (wasn't that about every 5th episode?)



As I say good day, I’d like to wish Shelby a Happy Birthday.  Hurry up and get over here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment