Saturday, July 10, 2010

Blue like Joburg Jazz

Guten Tag freundens!      Germany vs Uruguay for 3rd place today. 11:30aPT. ABC.

Set your DVR for ABC tomorrow! The 2010 World Cup Final kicks off at 11:30aPT.
Super-Massive Pre-game show starts at 10:30, sure to be another epic, edit masterpiece to start the show, this one voiced by Don Cheadle.

This will be the first tournament where Spain and the Netherlands meet for the Final.
The Dutch lead the all-time meetings 4-3-1, while Spain leads the head to head scoring 12-10.
Who will be victorious in the greatest sport event on the planet? Just a day away!


But today's blog is not about soccer. (nor is it about LeBron)

Hop on your magic carpet, get your hiney over here! Jump in the back seat and join Chris Allan and I on our Joburg jaunt.


Pimp my Ride.
Instead of two taxi trips at 300 Rand each, we rented this little tin box for 400.  

'Fluff'master Flash and DJ RUSTenburg thumpin down the streets in a Kia Picanto.
Don't be gentle, it's a Rental!
Sure, why not?  I'm up for the challenge of driving on the left side of the road. What they didn't tell us is that the only car available is a stick shift. No prob, I've been driving stick since I was 16.  Scratch that, it was 14... (someone had to deliver those heavy Statesman Journal Sunday edition papers in the rain, and Mom had already driven every Sunday for 4 years!) The issue here, is that in these cars, the driver shifts LEFT handed. I had to quickly learn a new set of movements,,, or just grind the gears a lot!!




'My Friend, My Friend'.
Through some constant reminding to 'Stay Left' we meandered to the Bruma Lake Craft Market.  Part local artisan outlet and part cheap-stuff flea market, we killed a good 3 hours playing the negotiating game.  'My friend', 'come look inside' 'where are you from' and 'which mask do you like' are the most common catch phrases heard walking among the tin-roofed and blue-tarped alleys.  If you let the sales dudes think you are interested, the deal is already done. At that point, it's time to barter!








'How much for the Giraffe in the window?"
This is where the fun begins.  The shopkeeper may start with a price of 170 Rand, but as soon as I give a look of sheer terror, I hear "but I have a special price for you- 140 Rand" (wow, lucky me!)  I start to walk away ,"my friend, how much you pay?". So I offer 75. He laughs. "I have to make a living, my friend, 125?" I tell him about another shop that sells a larger mask for 90. "OK, my friend, 100 for you only".  I agree, but only if he throws in a couple of leather bookmarks. Deal.  In the end I got some nice gifts and saved a whopping total of about $9 US.  The shopkeeper probably made back double what he paid wholesale, and Fluff and I had a few good laughs.





Hustle and Flow.
With a few hours to kill before dark, we wanted to see what downtown was really about. If we were on a tight schedule, this would have been a big mistake.  Friday eve at 6 in downtown Joburg is not for the timid driver.  Within a few minutes we found ourselves in the belly of the beast- smack dab in the CBD- Central Business District.  The buzz of this place gave me the feeling you get when you step off the S train at Grand Central Station, but much dirtier. All around is a constant blur as people rush to catch a bus home, many times playing that real life version of Frogger crossing 5 lanes of moving traffic.



 'Magic Bus'
The traffic I speak of mostly consists of the standard white city bus.  SIXTEEN THOUSAND of these white Mini-Vans make up the entirety of Joville's mass transit system.  Much like the Mexican Combi collectivo vans, these work more like taxis with no defined routes. They are '15 -passenger vans' that are usually filled with around 20!  The bus depot is an anthill of activity.  Drivers and potential passengers waiting on the sidewalk communicate through a very confusing form of sign language to convey routes and times.


'Jazz the way I like it'.
Later that night, we made our way over to the Teatro for the 2nd of two Hugh Masekela & Friends concerts. Wow, was I blown away.  Earlier this month, I noted my own lack of jazz knowledge with the fact that I did not recognize his name as part of the Opening Ceremonies. Later I realized that, indeed, I had heard his music, just not his name.  This month, I've heard all about his name and life.  His is an intriguing story of a 30 year self-imposed exile from his African homeland, a lengthy international music career and a touching family connection ( his son, Sal, is part of our announce team).  Yet, learning all this was nothing to prepare me for a night of his live music.
Although many of the lyrics were in another language, his thoughts and themes were conveyed through the power of music. By way of that magic, we started out Grazing In The Grass of a savannah, then were passengers on a Coal Train ride through Africa.  We learned about the love of his Mama and the life of an African Lady.  At 71, he danced the stage like a 30 year old. His unique raspy voice dipped to a Sha Na Na low and suprisingly, to a Vienna Boys Choir high. If you ever get the chance to experience his live show, please do.(and invite me along, too!)  If not, go buy some of his vast collection of music. I will. http://www.amazon.com/Hugh-Masekela/e/B000APTL8M

The feeling at the beginning of the show was like a mellow James Taylor  a Capella tune at the old Starwood Amphitheater.  Later, the groove picked up to the level of Soulive  funk at the Knitting Factory. At the finale, everyone was dancing in the pews of Ebenezer Baptist Church.

speaking of Jazz.. have you ever read Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz?  A quick read where a random road trip parallels a random spiritual trip.


Min Dae. ! just a few days left, then I'm on my way home!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, such a fancy background, just as the World Cup comes to an end. Question: Were the pedals in the same order in the car? Or were they backward too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya, I'm just starting to mature as a blogger :-)
    yep, pedals were as we know it. But, blinker was on the right, wipers on the left. I can't count how many times I tried to signal and turned the wipers on high with fluid!! embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete