Monday, July 5, 2010

Capetown Chronicles -part Tres

Sawubona friends (Zulu- Hello)

If you are looking here for soccer news, chill out a spell. No games yesterday or today.  Tomorrow brings the first semifinal of Netherlands and Uruguay at 11aPT on ESPN.  Wooden clogs vs ????hmmm, (I have no idea what shoes they wear in Uruguay).  Amstel vs ???? Windmills vs ???  wow, I'm quite ignorant of this last of the two '...guays' in the Cup.  I do know that they have Diego Forlan in the number 10 jersey.  His 40 yard bombs and free kicks seem to hit the net before defenders even know there was a shot!  If he weren't a futbol scoring machine, I'm sure he'd be stunning the ladies on some smutty soap opera with his long blonde locks.

We now pick of where we left off yesterday- Part 3 of the Capetown Chronicles.
As I circumvented Haut Bay, the scenes were mind blowing.  I could spend years here, photographing and just chillin out.

Motoring up the West coast of the peninsula, North of the fishing villages and postcard beaches, the Twelve Apostles rise out of the back side of Table Mountain evangelizing the gospel of the hills.  They seem to echo John Muir, Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”  Amen brutha!






Returning the bike, it was easy to remember which exit to take!





With a quick cab ride from AJ, the very friendly taxi driver, I was downtown to join Collin and Taylor and friends for dinner at Mama Africa's. This is one of the places you must visit while in Capetown.  Upon entering, my ears are treated to rhythm of local band, AbAvuki, rockin the house with traditional African music.   http://www.abavuki.com/
http://www.myspace.com/abavuki






My meal of Springbok was a fine way
to experience the local cuisine.  You may remember the Springbok as the mascot of the South African Rugby team (Invictus).  In reality, it is a small antelope native to South Western Africa...and darn tasty too! especially with the local Peri Peri sauce.


After dinner, we strolled Long Street. (think Bourbon Street mixed with Greenwich Village)  A place full on nightlife; bars, intenet cafes, expats, coffee shops and Euro trekkers. A visual feast for a Nat'l Geo photog wannabee.  Taylor took us to one of his favorite spots to hang, a 5th story rooftop bar with views down long street and behind us, the face of Table Mtn.





Time to part ways with good friends and call it a night, as my Cabbie pal, AJ, is to pick me up at 4:30a!!! I got a bit of sleep on the plane,  then one hour at the hotel, then off to work!  wow, I guess I'm not 21 anymore....and it shows.

In the process of my mini adventure,  I have proven that the amount of sleep one omits from his or her nightly standard is inversely proportional to cups of coffee rquired to make it through the following day. It's an extremely complex algorithm that I don't have time to explain right now.

1 comment: