a completely unpredictable travelogue of the refreshing randomness of life happening larger than expected.
Saturday, July 3, 2010
Capetown Chronicles -part Uno
Table Mountain stands sentinel over Capetown.
Capetown Chronicles in a moment..but first, soccer news:
did you see that? Netherlands sends Brazil packing, 2-1 with a brilliant Sneijder header off a flicked on corner kick! Brazil got lucky early as the Dutch defense played as loose as the Amsterdam drug laws to allow an easy Robinho goal. Just after half, Brazil re-payed the favor with a Felipe Melo own goal. A night he'd like to forget: He assisted on the first goal, scored one for Holland and then got a Red Card- doh! Has anyone ever heard Samba in the key of Somber?
The fallout from this should result in Dunga losing his job, not to mention his Highlander immortal status. Netherlands moves on to the Semifinals to take on Uraguay, who broke the hearts of the entire African continent with last nights win over Ghana that went to Penalty Kicks.
Today has Ginormous Quarterfinal match-ups of Germany/Argentina at 7aPT on ABC. In another World Cup, THIS would be the final.
Spain and Paraguay kickoff at 11:30aPT, also ABC.
So, jump in the not-so-way-back-machine to join in my Capetown trek. With a quirk in the schedule, I ended up with two consecutive days off! I could catch up on sleep, go to fake Italy or seize the day(s). I chose the latter. A late morning flight on kitschy Kululu airlines had me on the C-town tarmac at 11a. Ya gotta love the exterior graphics of these planes: Black Box-which is actually orange. Landing Gear- with Super Fly mags.
the Loo- or Mile High Club initiation chamber.
Taking a bus downtown, I discover a thriving, living, breathing city where you can walk everywhere, eat at an outdoor cafe with clean air in your lungs. This is quite contrary to the dirty Joburg where you must have a car to get from oversized mall to over-advertised strip mall. But here, I find a safe, multicultural scene, that allows for schmucks like me to wander and soak it all in.
For lunch I met up with Taylor Downs and Colin Powers, two friends from working the '06 Cup in Germany. We enjoyed some great Indian food- I had a very tasty Chicken Masala Dosa while Colin had the Bunny Chow. huh? not actual rabbit, but a meaty stew in a bread bowl- actually a loaf of white bread cut in half and hollowed out. It was very legit as there is a massive Indian population here.
Taylor has been living in Capetown for over a year for his job with Grass Roots Soccer. If you missed the link a few weeks ago, please click. http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/
Grass Roots Soccer is a group that mobilizes the global soccer community in the fight against HIV/AIDS, using local heroes, professional soccer players and to educate at risk youth. It's an incredibility important mission, please check it.
Colin, the gifted writer, and crazed fan of basketball and futbol, fortuitosly found his way over the pond as part of the Turf team. Check out his blog-ventuture at http://www.slamonline.com/online/blogs/the-breakdown/2010/06/because-steve-nash-likes-it/
Taylor split back to work, Colin and I hit one of the countless coffee houses. Walking into Velux Coffee, I smiled as Lyle Lovett welcomed us from the stereo. That was a welcome sound after all the techno-pop we hear on the bus radio daily...or maybe it was the smell of fresh coffee.
For the last few hours of the afternoon, I found myself on a personal photo safari in downtown. A time that becomes my own moment of zen. These moments make me feel alive. Time becomes irrelevant, I get lost in the creation of art while pursueing light, shadow, shape, color and emotion. I wander the craft markets and bustling streets, letting the my inner Ansel guide me.
The Pigeon World Cup takes place hourly on the plaza of Green Market.
A few years ago, I made a conscious decision to take recommendations when offered, to follow my gut feeling when it's strong enough and ride whatever wave may be under my stinky feet. Similar to Frost's choice of "taking the road less traveled", this attitude has "made all the difference".
Here's how it played out this time:
Last month, my girlfriend, Shelby, and colleagues randomly met some South African Airline pilots in DC. Over e-mail, she introduced the two of us. Pete opened up his house to me, inviting me to crash at his place while in Capetown. His 18 yr old son even drove downtown to pick me up- he'd just acquired his drivers license and really wanted to drive ...and fast (much to the discomfort of the beer in my belly). Pete even treated me to a succulent dinner of Yellowtail at a local Greek place down on the edge of False Bay. The local Shiraz was a grand bonus. Truly a most unexpected twist to my jaunt.
tune in here tomorrow,. Same Bat Time, Same Bat Place, for Part Two of Capetown Chronicles.
for now, it's time for world class futbol!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









Go, Netherlands!!!
ReplyDelete