Shakira cries. It's a sad day for Colombia. Their World Cup dreams were dashed by Brazil, 2-1. The highlight of the game was Kenny Gs stunning free Kick to score the second goal. Oh, sorry, that was David Luiz. But, still, one freakin great goal. Our boy James Rodriguez got one late on a PK for Colombia. But, it wasn't enough. He ended up in tears also.As much as I mock Luiz for his hair, (I may actually be jealous that I never had rock-n-roll hair. Shelby
assures me that I needn't be), he pulled one of the classiest moves of the whole tournament. During the post-game celebration, as Dani Alves was consoling the young futbol wizard, Luiz led the crowd in applause in support of the Colombian star.
Sounds like Neymar and most of the country are dripping saline also. Reports on the twittersphere are that Neymar has a fractured vertebrae from taking a knee to the back. He's out. Done. Finished. A nation cries.
By holding back the French 1-0, Germany becomes first country to reach four straight World Cup semifinals. They meet Brazil on Tuesday.
Music of the Day
Did you get to watch Searching for Sugarman yet? well, here's a taste of the music you all missed in the early 70's.
The name of this mystery artist- Rodriguez. (no relation to James)
Bovine Barbecue
A few weeks ago we were able to go out to eat at a Churrascuria. It's basically a Portuguese barbecue with roots in the rural Southern Brazil gauchos' fireside roasts. Have you ever been to Fogo de Chao? It's like that. You start with a giant Salad bar/buffet. But, the real draw here is the meat. Servers come around to each table with a variety of steaks on swords. yep. you heard me. And they don't stop.
All you can eat. Just nod or deny each server. Rib Eye, Flank, Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, rump roast, Bacon wrapped something or another, lamb, pork, an amazing over-salted creature, duck, ham, chicken, sausage, etc, etc. In the two trips I've made, I devoured more red meat than all of 2014. commence food coma. wait! don't forget desert. you left some room for that, right? The say the meat down here is not as polluted as ours back home. Some USDA beef has enough Growth Hormones to power Alex Rodriquez for another 15 years!
From The Quote Board
Portuguese phrase of the day: Já acabei (I already finished) ....with food or work?
On Tap Today:
One more chance to witness Messi's magic. I expect him to blow the lid off this thing today. His Left foot is Picasso-esque in it's creativity. He slices through opposition like a Robert Rodriguez film. His right foot? well, ya don't see him use it much. It's is merely the tool to get the Left foot in place to perform magic. It is the John Oats to Daryl Hall.
Bovine Bananza?
Speaking of all the meat you can eat. Think that having the World Cup hosted by your country is a cash cow? Think again. Here is an interesting NY Times article on how some locals here will be worse off than they were before a Gazillian dollar stadium was plopped down next to their decrepit apartment.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/sports/worldcup/world-cup-2014-residents-wonder-how-new-stadiums-will-benefit-region-after-cup.html?ref=sports&_r=0#
Thank you Sixto, for the music. Thank you James, for the passion, the creativity and the futbol exuberance. You inspired millions and gave your country something to be proud of.
Yes, Mom, I am eating my Vegetables
~Rusty
...




No comments:
Post a Comment