| Rainy Dark Day |
Actually, it was a great battle, the kind the soccer geeks really enjoy and naysayers yawn at. But those people are missing out. They usually do. It's the whole 'can't see the forest for the trees' kind of thing. All the oh-so-close chances, the goal-saving defensive plays, the crowd, the pressure, the excitement of being on the knife's edge of disappointment or glory. Argentina will face Germany on Sunday for the championship. The Netherlands meet a Brazil team that needs to regain it's honor on Sat for third place.
In any game that goes to Extra Time, I am amazed at the endurance of these guys. After already being in constant motion for 90 minutes, players ask their bodies to go 30 more. But, then again, these are some of the best athletes in the world. And they get paid handsomely for it. They should be top shape.
US midfielder Michael Bradley sure is. He may not have been at his best on the ball this tournament, but he sure was everywhere. He affects the game in ways that are not listed in the final stats. After the first three games of Group Stage, he had covered nearly 24 miles, the most of any player.
I wonder how other sports compare. hmmm, well, through the magic of the Google, I have all the info at my fingertips. Here, I'll pass it on to you for absolutely free.
http://gizmodo.com/5992583/how-far-do-you-run-in-different-sports
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/sports-run-stats-show-burns-shoe-leather-article-1.1307763
American Football receivers run about a mile for each game. Tennis players, 3-5 miles. Basketball, 2-3 miles. Baseball, not even on the radar. Soccer players run on average 7 miles per game.
Music do Dia
AK from LA sends his samba South. enjoy Timbalada
"look, there's a monkey on the clapper"!
Rhythm of the Game.
Somewhere in my 2010 blog series, I blabbered on about the culture of soccer and how it is created by the culture of each country. It's amazing to see the flavor and soul of each country displayed in how they bring their game to the pitch. It's one of my favorite things about international futbol. Not sure how it was possible, but it seems the fine editors and producer at ESPN have topped me. Please take the few short minutes to watch this piece. It is wonderful
http://www.espnfc.com/video/latest-videos/600/video/1934343
I was able to get into town the other day for some shopping at the local Hippie Fair market, cerveja with my amigos and a spectacular sunset.
Viva los Bob!For my friends back home enjoying the rebirth of a Salem original. I found a Bob's down here. But, I'm kind of afraid to try them. Pretty sure it would ruin my memories of the our favorite local hangout. Would somebody mind picking me up a few of those while you are at the County Fair?
I can repay you with 2 rides at the Hydro Tubes!
Portuguese phrase of the day: Que horas são? (What time is it?)
Time for me to fly.
With a few days off,
I'm out in search of adventure.
later, gator!
~Rquüsß



No comments:
Post a Comment