a completely unpredictable travelogue of the refreshing randomness of life happening larger than expected.
Sunday, July 4, 2010
Capetown Chronicles Part Dos
Happy Independence Day friends!
Are you ready for a ride down the most scenic coast I've ever set my eyes upon?
oh, just hold your horses and wait a sec, will ya? We have some El Grande Futbol news first.
Yesterday's semifinal games were a lesson in expectations.
Germany completely dismantled Argentina 4-0! that's Four to ZIP, yes, zip, zero, zilch, nada, the null set, nuttin! Deutschland's disciplined team passing created scoring opportunities that sent Polish born Klose into the record books...and a very nice celebratory flip to wow the crowd. Messi played steady, but that was exactly the problem as he failed to bring his game to stratosphere level that sponsors and media created for him. Ooompa Loompa coach Diego Maradona gyrated on the sideline a record low 217 times, clearly a sign that his team was losing. The AP reports his average gyration stats are above 400 per game. Our crew is very relieved that he lost, since he is quoted as promising to run naked if Argentina was to win the cup. Nobody wanted that.
Halfway through editing my highlights for that game, a ticket for the evening's Spain/ Paraguay match appeared in my front shirt pocket, complements of Mr IpswichTown! Todd Kulis was kind enough to jump into the edit seat early so I could roll. Sitting next to Spaniard David Satlin, ESPN's Duke of Futbol Information, we witnessed the speed and tenacity of the #1 ranked team on the planet. Sadly, Tara Baker's boyfriend, Fernando Torres didn't create enough chances and was replaced. Soon thereafter, Both teams saved penalty kicks for the first time since the '30s (or so it was rumored over beers later)(now it's in print on my blog on the internet, so it must be true!). Late in the game we were witness to yet, another outstanding goal by tourney leading scorer David Villa! Calmly collecting a shot that ricocheted off the left post, he spied the only path in front of a crowded goalmouth and sent a precise shot off the right post which redirected along the goal line, off the left post and into the net! whew. Spain 1-Paraquay nuttin! Oh what a night!
Through some last minute shuttle negotiations, we were able to catch a ride back to the hotel with our announcer JP Dellacamera. He says 'Hi' to everyone.
Ok, did I tell ya I went to Capetown? ya, right. moving along to Thursday morning now. Peter hooked me up with his friend Chris- ex SAS, unassuming bad-ass and certified Harley nut! His Garage/cottage/wet bar rivals only West Seattle's Man Town in places that make you want to hang out! He offered a hot cup of press pot coffee and a great deal on a rental motorcycle. Within the hour, I found myself steaming up my helmet with giddy laughter as I rode along the fishing villages of False Bay, South of Capetown. I am the luckiest SOB (son of Bob) I know.
All along the peninsula, there are warning signs for baboons. ya don't see that every day. I cruised the winding roads to Cape Point National Park.
Jones'in for some solitude, I took one of the small paved spur roads. Off the to right in the expansive plain, my eye caught a patch of black among the vibrant greens and yellows. hmmmm, getting closer, it looked to be.... an ostrich.
Within minutes, tourist-laden vans pulled up and scared the critter away. They scared me away, too.
Motoring down to Cape Point, I found the parking lot full of tour buses and the trail up to the lighthouse packed like the shopper mob gang rushing Walmart on the morning after Thanksgiving. So I u-turned and split to the less crowded Cape of Good Hope, The South-Western point on the continet. It is a major milestone in the historic shipping routes around Africa, where tumultuous seas and a rocky coastline have contributed to the demise of many ships. I was quite jealous of the husband and wife I met from Frankfurt, who had ridden their BMW GS1200 from Germany to South Africa in 5 months to see the World Cup. Prost, freundens!
Just up from the photo-op, these guys greeted me from 30 feet off the asphalt! Spectacular to see these strange birds in their natural environment.
Then, across the road, in a small turnoff, on top of an empty car, Mama and baby posed for us shutterbugs. Could my day get any better?
well, yes, it could...and did. Around the next corner, a pack of 21 baboon were running parellel to me along the beach for a few minutes. ( I have footage of this, but have not quite mastered how to post video)
We now pause for this important message:
be sure to watch Shelby's show, A Capitol Fourth, live on PBS tonight at 8p!
http://www.pbs.org/capitolfourth/concert.html
Featuring The National Symphony Orchestra , Darius Rucker and Reba McIntire. Hosted by Jimmy Smits. good luck, Zilda!
Ya ever have those moments where music or literature mirror the current moment? no, me neither. Yes!, of course I have, dingbat, that's why I brought it up. Heading up the West side of the peninsula, I stopped for lunch in the laid back coastal town of Scarborough (kinda the Cannon Beach of SA). So cliche of me, I started humming Simon & Garfunkel as I sampled the Scarborough fare. Then, I noticed the change of song on the cafe porch....The Sounds of Silence. I smiled and basked in the moment.
The next half hour I was suddenly riding along the cliff roads of Monaco or Ireland (oh wait, I've never been to either!). Yep, that's the road there in the top third of the pict. A bit of vertigo as I peered over the edge, better keep my mind on the road...the LEFT side of the road. ya, they drive on the 'wrong' side down here, requiring constant concentration.
OK, gotta go. that's enough blogging for one day. Tomorrow, I'll post the rest of my day- we are only half way through!
adios muchachos!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











Baboons and ostrich! Oh my! My niece loved the pictures...via the DROID.
ReplyDelete