Well, after 42 days, 685 photos, 64 games, 157 goals and unmeasurable amounts of caffeine, we have come to the conclusion of our little expedition to South Africa.
Another ratings record!
Almost 25 million people in the United States watched Spain beat the Netherlands and take the World Cup on Sunday, the most watch soccer game in US history. ABC had 15.5 million viewers while Univision drew 8.8 million.
Things I'll miss:
the people of South Africa. free breakfast at the City Lodge.
Things I wont' miss:
the nasty air around Joburg. The messed up IBC bus schedule.
Somewhere along the way, we dumped Java 4.0 (too many viruses) and graduated to Coffee 5.2!
Deli Su Casa, 3 doors down, has been my haven for a good americano. A great place to hang with a friendly crew that started recognizing me when I walked in the door, bringing my order of yogurt, fruit and granola with my java. Murray, they owner, has created a comfortable vibe with reclaimed barn wood, groovy lighting and eclectic music, even if he dresses waaaaay to trendy in his sweatervest with pastel dress shirt perfectly un-tucked. It's a place I'd like to hit up on Saturday mornings...if only it weren't 3 light years away from home!
Thank you all for coming along. Throughout this jaunt, we have tasted a new culture, gained new friends/reconnected with old ones, learned important history, ventured to new cities, driven on the wrong side of the road, enjoyed wonderful/scary new food, had our feet nibbled by fish, partied with Elvis, Captain America & Uncle Sam, got to see Spain, Brazil & US play, 'traveled' to faux Tuscany, experienced amazing new music and created a gazillion hours of live TV.
here is some of the music we've tasted:
http://www.myspace.com/vusimahlasela
http://www.myspace.com/angeliquekidjo
http://www.shoutcast.com/radio/African
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9F6VLU00.htm
http://www.myspace.com/freshlygroundsa
http://www.myspace.com/theparlotones
http://www.myspace.com/arnocarstens
http://www.myspace.com/watershedsouthafrica
http://www.myspace.com/watershedcentral
http://www.myspace.com/santigold
http://www.myspace.com/vampireweekend
http://www.jesseclegg.com/
http://www.johnnyclegg.com/
if you are jones'in for some live notes, try this:
Saturday, July 17, 2010 at 4:00pm
Keizer Rapids Amphitheater ALL AGES!!!!!
pilfered from TK:
I miss you all, can't wait to see you in real life and not this crazy internet.
Thanks to our World Cup sponsors:
McDonalds- for becoming one of the direct contributors to obesity and malnutrition worldwide.
CocaCola - for causing tooth decay and diabetes to millions that need it.
BP- for royally screwing up the environment.
and to Sony...well, you haven't offended me yet. But I'm sure you will.
OK, time for some real thanks
Thanks to my crew. It was a pleasure to go into battle with you. Not sure if I would have made by myself.
Thanks to my parents for giving me whatever it is that keeps me going and planting the seed of wanderlust with childhood road trips.
To my bros, sis, nieces, nephews, uncles etc for taking care of the house.
Thanks to God for all the people I've met, the geographical beauty I've seen and adventures I've experienced.
and Thanks Shelby, for letting me gone this long.
Baby, I'm coming home!! !! !!! !!!! !!!!!!
Random picts that didn't make the cut for other blogs:
they stopped making these 3 years ago in SA!
Upon entering the MonteCasino:

some random 'fella' in Capetown.
Capetwown.
that's it! adios.












A VW Rabbit!!!
ReplyDeleteYay for comin' home to your baby! Take her out for lots of ice cream.
good idea!
ReplyDelete