With a little downtime to recover, I stumbled upon another great area to hang out in. Walking aimlessly (or, rambling randomly), but with a strong purpose -to find a good cup o joe, I strolled toward the Opera House. Then, I noticed a street to the right that was blocked to traffic. Upon further review, it is just what I'm looking for, a wide cobble stoned street with cafes, juice bars and street musicians. Großs Brockenheimer Straße is a bit touristy, but, I'm not quite a Local yet. A great moment to soak in the vibes.
![]() |
| Not quite Simon and Garfunkel |
Nuggets for Yo Noggin - (properly pilfered from Paul Carr with permission)
On the 12th anniversary of USA's last WWC title and only other WWC shootout, USA eliminates Brazil on PKs to reach its 6th straight semifinals. USA is the only team to reach the semis of all 6 WWC.
Abby Wambach ties the game in extra time (120'+2) with the latest goal in WWC history.
11th career WWC goal for Wambach, t-4th in WWC history.
1st game in WWC history with both teams scoring in extra time.
Marta scores 2 goals (68', 92'), first converting a penalty, then striking in extra time.
With 14 career WWC goals, Marta ties Birgit Prinz for most in WWC history.
Record 5th multi-goal WWC game for Marta, who leads the tournament with 4 goals.
![]() |
| The stage looked like the artwork from a Boston album. |
Each night, the FrankFurt Fusball Fanfest kicks in from the banks of the River Main. It is part concert and part carnival. We jloined in the fun the other night. All I wanted was some good live music. What I got was a mediocre comedian attempting to lead the audience in a sing-a-long in a Deutsch version of Roy Orbison's Blue Bayou. They pretty much ruined it. It may be the wurst thing I've hear this trip.
Or, maybe it was Linda Rondstadt's version. At least she has a German last name!
Rate This!
Ya want ratings? here are some digits sent in from the home office:
2011 Women's World Cup Soccer, Quarterfinals, Brazil vs. USA, 11am-2:30pm: 2.61 metered mkt average.
Hmmm what else was on that night? oh look. MLB Sunday Night Baseball, Mets vs. Giants, 8-11pm: 1.54 metered mkt average.hmmm. Heitz, you hear that?
Daily Shout outs.
Culp-may your knee heel quickly.
Rev Greg and the Village Idiots.
CB of the DMB.
Haselnuss here is a visual shout out-
(and I hope your leg is better, too)
Getting out of TouristaVille the other day, I got on my Bike Friday and started pedaling. I wasn't exactly sure where, but the online map showed a large greenspace South of Sachenhausen, the hip nightlife area that Coy noted has a Portland flavor. The paper map I carried in my pocket ended there. So, I meandered blindly through the neighborhoods, climbing slightly. After half an hour, I found a path that lead into a forest. Why not? It was a great change of pace from the city. Trails, trails everywhere. Fresh air! My kind of place. And signs, too. I love how well laid out the bike paths are. At one point, I stopped to study the map and realized that this is part of the route I had researched before I came to Frankfurt.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Frankfurt-Gr-nG-rtel
I assumed it would be farther out of town. Now, I find myself at the Southwest corner of the route I have been pondering. Basically a series of paths, circumnavigating the city (with a few shortcuts through suburbia and farmlands(,the route is based on a 1712 map defining the Frankfurt area. I hope to explore this more.
Music of the Day comes from longtime RRR supporter Pete Finarelli, who tells us to get our groove on with New Orleans brass funk band, Bonerama. check it. It's like a Double Espresso for your ears.
http://boneramamusic.com/
USA plays France on Wednesday at 8:30 AM PT. If you miss it, Matt's dog will 'fertilize' your yard.
Later Høsen!
.





No comments:
Post a Comment