Doh!
I left my camera card adapter at home , (ya know I've been gone too lone, when I refer to my hotel room as 'home'). So I will postpone the photo montage of my 2 day Capetown fandango.
As a teaser, I offer up this massive train-of-thought, lack-of-sleep, caffeine-induced, run-on sentence: Kululu Airlines Downtown Capetown metropolitan craft markets coffee shops expats trekkers old friends Indian lunch new friends fishing village dinner local wine up early motorcycle Cape Point ostrich tourists baboon sunny and warm Cape Salmon cappuccino Cliffs of Insanity Twelve Apostles Table Mtn dinner with 'Journalists' Mama Africa's Springbok medium rare Stella Artois Long Street 6am flight 'home' ..and then....and then...(apologies to my high school newspaper staff teacher, Mrs. Harris. She would not approve of this type of journalism).
Ya better be back in a Futbol Mood! 'cause today the heavyweights duke it out!
The mighty Orange of the Netherlands challenge the tradition of 5 time World Cup Champ Brasil at 7aPT ESPN. The passing and finesse of these 2 teams is a Cirque du Soliel with a Mozart soundtrack. Our man in the studio, Ruüd Gullet is beside himself for this one as he walks the line between rooting for his homeland and staying professional on air. Our Queen Esther is eating an Orange in honor of her heritage.
The 11aPT ESPN game has Uruguay and Ghana in a battle of Underdogs- (There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!) As the last remaining African team, I jump on the Black Stars bandwagon. This one takes place next door at Soccer City Stadium.
However, I have a bone to pick with the soccer deity. My complaint is a simple international copyright issue. Local historians and old school soccer fans around Portland from '75-82, will remember the genesis of the term, Soccer City USA, as our Timbers made an inaugural season run to the championship game. If you haven't been to a Timber's game lately, get off your duff and go. You will find that same spirit growing with each game as we plod on towards MLS next March. Home game tomorrow eve at PGE Park! 7p vs Vancouver Whitecaps. Let the REAL Soccer City rise up!
If you would like a great read, check out the literary stylings my man Colin and his take of this Coupe du Monde:
http://www.slamonline.com/online/blogs/the-breakdown/2010/06/because-steve-nash-likes-it/
The view from inside the Death Star.
I'll try to find Section N16 to turn off the Tractor Beam!
A giant Puyallup sized thanks to photog Simon Fewing for this amazing image he's titled 'Reactor Stadium'.
I suspect that after the Final, this alien contraption will take off, leaving District 9 behind, headed for the skies. Come sail away.




I apologize for my lack of comments in the past week. And now I'm headed off to the woods and the haven of the parents' cabin so....GO NETHERLANDS!!!!
ReplyDeletep.s. I now have a MacBook Pro. This is the first blog comment ever made with it.
thanks for the inaugural blog comment. woohoo!
ReplyDelete