OMG LOL WTF??
yes, those very ridiculous acronyms perfectly describe yesterday's US/Slovenia match....as well as my experience of the day.
Here is the Posse: Tony from LA, Brian from Bristol ( both part of our crew) and John from Brooklyn, just met him in out hotel lobby in the morning!
Here is the LOL :
ALL of my friends and heroes were there: Abe, Uncle Sam, Elvis, Geo Wash,,, even Pancho Villa.
(no Cirelli, it wasn't the LOL your ma thinks it is! )
Yo Docter Bros! hangin with dude had me reminiscing of our rockin times in Germany '06!
..Speaking of Duetchland, I was able to meet up super 'Jouranlist' Taylor Downs, from our ESPN '06 Munich crew.
He had VIP passes and couldn't get into the area with us hooligans.
Please take a moment to check out the outstanding non-profit he works for:
http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/
They use soccer to teach HIV awareness and life skills. Keep up the good work TD!
and now, the OMG:
(much different than OMD from the 80's http://www.myspace.com/officialomdmyspace)
As the game started I was like a bull in a candy store...er, uh..a kid in a china shop....oh wait. whatever! I was flippin giddy!
Truly a special day of my life. The grandeur of the match affected all of us. Eighty percent of the 40 thousand were sporting the Red, White and Blue, rooting for the US. Adrenaline flowed like jet fuel through the injectors of a dragster. Vuvazelas pounded our ears from 10 feet behind. My head is still ringing, much like the feeling I had after the '88 Monsters of Rock concert at the Kingdome! Chants of 'U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A" echoed throughout Ellis Park. It was one of those seminal moments that I will always remember.
and, lastly, the WTF:
after conceding 2 goals in the first half and looking like a sad imitation of a soccer team, the US turned it around in the second half with courage, belief and amazing goals by Donovan and Bradley. The 3rd US goal was even better! We were going absolutely nuts, dancing in the seats, hugging total strangers, screaming incomprehensible sounds and enjoying the magic of the moment! That is, until the bloke behind me rained on my parade, 'Dude, no goal'.!!!!! huh? Somehow, the ref called a foul on us as 2 Slovenians were seen mugging Bocanegra and Altidore in the replay. Even Slovenians say they saw no foul. This is sure to be one of the biggest scandal of the month. I wonder if FIFA will talk abou the situation.
In the meantime, check the NY Times;
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/19/sports/soccer/19usgame.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
Still, the Americans’ 2-2 draw with Slovenia was just the fourth such rally at the three World Cups of the new millennium. Bottom line, it keeps the US alive in the group. We NEED a win next Wed vs Algeria, which is very do-able!
Also yesterday, England failed to score and ended up with a tie vs Algeria. HA hahahahahaha!More details tomorrow, but here is the group grid (thanks to TK)
Shout out to Beaverton, Oregon's Westview Wildcats Varsity Boys Soccer Team and their new Head Coach Tom Lathrop. Keep workin it Bro! I expect to see a few Westview alumn in this photo in 4 years from Rio De Janeiro.
During the postgame celebrations I had the random chance to meet up with fellow TV Crew and worldside soccer fanaticos Sean LaRett, Lars and the boys from The Bay Area. Great to see you guys. I hope to catch up with you at the Brasil match!!!!
Met up with this Slovenian fella to chat about the game. One thing I was reminded of is that people don't always hate us as a country (like the media tells us). My new friend said in very good English 'We really wanted to beat you, because we are 2 million peoples and you are 300 million."
Outside the game, we are all friends. Now, THAT is what the World Cup is all about.
gotto go push buttons.
BRB!










I think it's the Guinness that makes us all friends. Woot!
ReplyDelete