Saturday, June 26, 2010

TODAY US!



US vs Ghana THIS MORNING at 11a on ABC.
It took 2 years to weed 205 teams to 64. In the last 2 weeks 64 has become 16.  Today starts the knockout stage- lose and go home. Win and chase the dream of a nation.

As a proper, get-yoself-pumped-up tune, check this rockin ditty by Weezer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7nCt6vWOxQ
..a tribute to US Soccer, full of images from world cup qualifying games.  If this don't get ya pumped for the game, call a medic!
This is THE game. If you missed that last 3, Do not miss this one.  US has been here before, in Korea 2002. But this one seems much bigger. That one seemed a big surprise, this time around, the US is ranked 14 in the world. We should be here. We should win. We should advance. Expect it. It's gonna be rockin!!


To find a place to watch the game near you:
http://www.gousabid.com/page/event/search_simple?source=email&utm_source=full&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20100625

With a day off yesterday, Steadicam op, James Lytle, and I toured the Apartheid Museum.  A slap-in-my-face education with very sobering stories of oppression, segregation and, eventually, equality.  Obviously, the life of Nelson Mandela is the public face of this saga, but there are countless, thousands of others who gave life or family to help progress this nation to democracy.

Imagine civil unrest with these vehicles patrolling the streets.  kinda intimidating huh?  I was reminded that some of the key events in this story, happened a mere 15 years ago!!!  That is hard for me to comprehend, since our own country's battle with segregation ended a generation ago (although, too much racial inequality still exists). There is so much information displayed at the museum, it would take weeks to understand.  Yet, the one the lasting thought I have is: why didn't we know more about this tragic situation?  Maybe it was my own self-absorbed life struggling to pay rent or fix my car during the early 90's, but all I have is vague memories of news footage of protests and riots, then it seemed to fade away. With a new book in hand and the desire to engage more locals in conversation, I hope to understand this more. Stay tuned to this rambling blog and join me in my education. I have so much to learn.

As the evening cool descended on Joburg, we ventured to Mandela Square meeting up with Merideth and Joe Zampino, Shaw's Bro-n-Law and Sis-n-Law to watch Brazil/Portugal, who finished 1st and 2nd in Group G. Great to hang with friends and fellow travel adventurers. ...and thanks for the ride home. ...nice work driving the opposite way in a roundabout!


Also today, Uraguay and South Korea at 7aPT.

Yesterday, Spain beat Chile 1-0, both advance.


This is what brings the country together/ reactions to the US goal that sent us into the next round:
(it takes few moments to build up, keep watching, the country unites because of one game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w&feature=popular
Today, it all takes place in Rustenburg ( I love that name). 



Hangin with 'Madiba' in Madela Square. I'm the one on the right... the short one.















As I was taking picts, some stranger invaded my 'personal bubble of space'.  Weary of pickpocketers, I backed off a bit, looked at the intruder, then a doubletake, and a triple-take. It was Alix! ESPN security dude from previous trips to Central America.  We caught up and reminisced about our not-so-close friend, Jorge.  I'll save that story for a longer blog.  In short, Jorge is a child porn ringleader, lying SOB and international dirtbag. Mi amigo Alix, is the exact opposite of that.




confusion on the Montego Bay menu- what in the wide, wide world of sports is 'Rocket'?
Merideth assisted in my cross culture culinary vocabulary- Rocket is simply another name for Arugula!

No comments:

Post a Comment