Saturday, June 5, 2010

Settling In, June 5

Good morning friends!  or as they say in Afrikaans, Goeie Møre!

Wow, this Jet Lag, Time Zone Swap and fractured sleep thing is nuts! I feel as if I'm a compound character of Bill Murray in Lost in Translation and Robin Williams in Insomnia. It was very Murray-esque after dinner the first night, when we stopped at a Karaoke Bar. The thumping bass beat was a bit much for our group, yet we endured. I took my cue to leave after feeling reeeeeeally old when all the 20somethings belted out Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". didn't like it in '87. hate it more when blasted past my ear drums to put a hurtin on my anvil, hammer and stirrup! I asked my friends from DTS Surround Sound about Decibel levels of that place, "anything that hurts your ears is too loud- probably over 100'. what?!?!?!?!

Big news out of South Africa today- England Captain Rio Ferdinand to miss World Cup with knee ligament injury sustained during team training. Bummer for the Manchester United defender, but great news for the US! This might give Jozy Altidore some room to work his game.







World Music Quest musician of the day- Arno Carstens.
check it!    http://www.myspace.com/arnocarstens
great stuff suggested by my new friend and colleague, Wynand, a local editor here in Joburg who is working with us for the month.

hanging with Pele'. I'm the dork on the left.  not sure about my expression.
But, Wait! More news from the US camp. Altidore sprained an ankle in practice yesterday. Just a ‘light sprain’ doctors are calling it. He should be fine for the US/England game June 12.

Didier Drogba of the Ivory Coast broke his arm and may miss the Cup. Or, depending on your News source, he may have a small fracture, or dislocated elbow. Or, it may just be how the team is spinning it- the news, not the arm! Whatever the case, he is such a dominating force, it’s sure to affect his game. Stay tuned for updates. ....well, how about an update now? Certain unnamed sources say he may have had surgery overnight.


If ya get time, the US plays Australia in an exhibition match today- (we call them ‘friendlies’. But they are not always so) ESPN2 at 8:30am ET. This will give Coach Bradley a chance to get some of the bench players onto the pitch and see how the chemistry plays out.



 breakfast was darn tasty! Veggie omelet, bacon, mushrooms and Bulgarian yogurt with muesli and honey!

looks like I have a day off tomorrow- wonder what fun and intrigue I can discover.

Anyone else still singing Whitney??? As I exited the hotel this morning, the lobby music was none other than …….MORE WHITNEY!!!   This time: ‘You Give Good Love’. Help me get this out of my head!!! (or at least maybe it will take up residence in your subconscious and you can suffer with me!! MwaHahahaha!!)

Totsiens!

1 comment: