The sound I'm yakkin 'bout is the Vuvuzelas! Those pesky plastic noisemakers you will undoubtedly hear as you watch the World Cup games. At first, it's obnoxious and distracting, then you get accustomed to it and forget about it. Then you read some wacked random blog and learn it's relevence within the culture.
Its name in Zulu roughly translates to "making a lot of noise". It's a celebration, a reason to create music. A way for the common people to come together and create something larger. When thousands of the horns are blown in a stadium, they create a buzzing din, described as similar to the wail of foghorns, the trumpeting of a herd of elephants, or perhaps the traffic jam from hell. "It's the culture of the country," South African national team coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said. "We will not change it. We will stress it. We want it louder and louder and louder."

Through 2 years of qualification, 2337 goals were scored over 848 matches. Now, the final 32 teams will battle for this: the long sought after FIFA World Cup Trophy.
When the planet stops spinning on it's axis momentarily, when ethnic rivalries become meaningless, when cities slow to a crawl, when traffic jams cease, when humanity unites, it must be time for a something of utmost importance. World Cup 2010 is here! The festivities kicked off with an opening concert last night. I wish I was there, yet to be honest, I watched it from my room at The City Lodge.
The over-saturated Black Eyed Peas may have been the highlight for some, but for this musically challenged knucklehead, Angelique Kidjo stole the show. A duet with John Legend was outstanding.
http://www.myspace.com/angeliquekidjo
And, the bonus here, is that she actually stands for something.
Born in Benin, West Africa, now residing in NYC, she sings, tours and speaks of the issues children and women face in her native land and around the world as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
http://www.kidjo.com/#/ I've yet to hear her speak, yet, after a first hand experience in an orphanage in her home country with my bearded buddy Ken, I have no doubt that her message carries personal, heartfelt depth.
Also new to me was the enticing vocals of Vusi Mahlasela:
http://www.myspace.com/vusimahlasela
I thought it was fresh to my ears, but discovered that I've heard him before on the Playing For Change project ....which has undergone extensive rotation in the crappy stereo of my stanky, dirty ol' Jeep.
http://www.playingforchange.com/live/index.php
Did anyone see the shots of Desmond Tutu dancing? wow! Such a special moment to see a man of such stature bust loose a bit. The evening reminded me of the importance that this event be held on the African continent at this particular point in history.
and, yet, another friendly reminder- don't miss the Open to our show 30 min prior to kickoff (prob about 6:25a PT - ish) as the Joburg's own Soweto Gospel Choir joins U2 in a musical masterpiece.
I have further inside info that you may spot our very own Shaw 'IpswichTown' Brown as a hoodie-wearing soccer player in our 'tease' - most likely airing right before or after Bono and friends.
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!?!?!
To launch the tourney, South Africa hosts Mexico at 7a PT on ESPN. This one takes place here in Joburg at the 94,000 seat Soccer City Stadium, about 500 metres to my left, er, uh, East (me thinks).Tough call on this one. I'm getting behind the Bafana Bafana, not just because I love to say that, but there is some serious buzz going on around this country that is sure to translate to adrenaline on the pitch. (or maybe it's the buzz of the Vuvaselas echoing in my noggin!
Key players to watch for SA are Pienaar- look for the short corn-row-doo. He'll have the ball a lot. Mphele has gotta score goals. For Mex, look for Vela and Dos Santos who brought home the Under-17 world cup trophy a few years ago. We'll see if a few years of maturity will help them take on he pressure of their entire country---and half of ours.
France takes on Uruguay at 11a PT. I will root for the South American underdogs, but if France can call on the spirit of former Les Bleus teams, they could dominate.
No Line on The Horizon
well, I'm off for another busy day of editing- yesterday was mass hysteria throughout the ESPN facilities. With live shows, taped segments, satellite feeds, and too many last minute OhByTheWay request, we were busy all day with no lunch and only 2 short breaks. Then I tapped out to Todd who went who knows how late into the wee morning hours. Should settle down into some sort of groove in a few days. Today is quickly becoming more of the same Madness.
Kinda feels like a scene from Broadcast News, with some Monster energy drink thrown into your quad shot frappasomethingchino!
huh?



U-S-A
ReplyDeleteU-S-A
RUS-TY-GRAY
RUS-TY-GRAY
Fave line of the blog: "and half of ours."