Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Jogo Bonito! and tasty drinks!

Jambo from Manhattan Beach barks trash talks Cameroon.
Now THAT'S Brazilian Futeblo, Jogo Bonito! 
The Beautiful Game. 
Neymar and Co Finally lived up to Pele's signature phrase with a 4-1 win over Cameroon. They move on to face red hot Chile.

Mexico got back on track pounding Croatia, 3-1. Familiar US nemesis names scored for El Tri: Marquez, Guardado and Hernandez.  They get the Dutch next.  hahahahaha!


The USA's 2-2 draw with Portugal on Sunday posted a 9.1 overnight rating on ESPN, making it the most-watched soccer game in the network's history.
The number, which does not factor in the millions of viewers who watched Spanish-language Univision, was just behind the 9.3 average posted by the NBA Finals and ahead of the most recent World Series (8.9 average) and Stanley Cup Final(2.8). The match was most popular in Washington, D.C., with a 13.3 rating.
The USA's 2-1 win over Ghana last week posted a 7.0 rating on ESPN, setting a record at the time for men's soccer on ESPN.
It's a beautiful day outside, good day to go into a dark warehouse and make TV (he says sarcastically).  Yes, those are bikinis that guy is selling.  wonder where the dressing room is. Well, it is Brazil, I suppose the beach is the dressing room.

...And another thing about the US/Portugal cliffhanger. Yes, we were oh so close to victory, which would have secured a place in the next round. The tie merely thickens the plot. Everyone asks, 'what if'?  I respond, what if we didn't have to ask 'what if'? huh? just confused myself. (Truly you have a dizzying intellect). What I'm getting at, is Nike. I blame it all on Nike. yep, Uncle Phil, it's your fault. But thanks for all you've done for the state, the sport of soccer and U of O- love your cash donations ;-)

Here's the connection- a few years ago, Nike unveiled a new ad campaign, The Full 90. A great ad directed at  Futbol customers, but with plenty of crossover power to lure the youngsters.  As a generous sponsor of US Soccer, their gear and logo are everywhere. This Full 90 propaganda has been ingrained deep into the psyche of this generation of US players. They have learned and performed as they were told. Indeed, they play smart and tough for the full 90 minutes of a standard FIFA soccer match.  See where I'm going here?  That's not enough.  As we've recently re-learned, games go longer than 90 mins.
I hereby propose that Nike and/or Widen+Kennedy modify and re-launch this ad campaign. From now on, the phrase shall be the Full 90+. With the emphasis on the PLUS.

I further suggest that we all add that PLUS into everything we do.  When you think you've done enough, do a bit more.  Let's leave mediocrity in the past. Let's run farther, love more, eat smarter and give more.  want to start now? http://www.mercycorps.org/



Daily Double DøppléGångér

Rio Ferdiand and Snoop Dogg.

Although he's not playing for Enland, Rio is here as a broadcaster for BBC (The Beebs).

We say adios to his mates today as they take on Costa Rica.

Rio stays in Rio for a few more weeks.






One of the most popular drinks in Brazil is the Caipirinha. It's basically their National cocktail. Start with a large amount of Cachaça, alcohol from fermented cane juice that is then distilled. Then simply add sugar and lime.  consume.  repeat. Matt, DO NOT throw out that bottle of Cachaça! It may be worth saving, even though, to us Gringos,  it tasted like turpentine mixed with sewer.   
From The Quote Board
"Bring me his head"



Musica do dia: 
put the cassette of Brazil rock star Cazuza in you Sony Walkman.
from my limited listening thus far, I'd say Cazuza possesses the brilliant vocals of John Parr coupled with those complicated bass lines of Alannah Myles. (he says sarcastically again). I'd call him the Brazillian Falco. (not so sarcastic)
A place where nobody know your name.
When you need a post-game cerveja and pub food, the beach hut across the street is the place to go. 
They make the best Caiprianha I've tasted. I've only tried 2, but this one was definitely in the top 50%. Our new buddy who works there speaks as limited English as we do Portuguese. Pointing at the menu usually works. If that fails, we just eat what he brings anyway.  He likes to wear old, ratty clothing with US flags. Not sure if he's doing that for our sake, or that's just his standard wardrobe.

It's been great 4 weeks so far.  I haven't heard the song Happy, by Pharrel one single time since I got here.  It's been a welcome change from the last 298 days or so, where everywhere you turn, that overplayed, joyous beat is coming from some TV, car or restaurant. I was enjoy this change of tunes, until last night.  As we sat there enjoying whatever food that was, the TV mounted on the side of the beach hut started with THAT sound. I tried to tune it out. But then I noticed that they were playing it again. This time with different voice. Turns out, a Brazil version of American Idol was on. But in this version of hell, they play the original, then TWO contestants each attempt to hit notes only Pharrel and Phillip Bailey should ever attempt. oh geez. gotta go!
Smokey The Bear wants his hat back.

 On Tap Today:
Uruguay v Italy in 10mins. One goes home. One goes on.
later in Group C, Columbia is already through. The other spot is wide open for whoever wants it most. I vote Greece, only because I like their cuisine best. But, it would be nice to see Ivory Coast move on.



lator, gator!



Give +


~Rquüsenardo.

No comments:

Post a Comment