Sunday, June 29, 2014

New King James version


There is a new King James.
This one doesn't cramp up...and don't call him 'James', as we Norte Americanos would.  It's pronounced 'Hom-ezs'. Last name of Rodriguez. Anyone remember a few days ago when I mentioned this guy?   He's now scored in his first 4 matches of his first World Cup.
When he shoots like that, the ball ends up like this.

And yesterday's two were simply outstanding. The first a solo effort from 25 meters out. A technically perfect chest trap to a full volley, left footed.  Rocket launch off the bottom of the crossbar. Futebol brilliance.  Absolutely nothing the defense could do.
http://www.smh.com.au/fifa-world-cup-2014/world-cup-match-report/world-cup-2014-james-rodriguez-scores-stunner-as-colombia-knock-out-uruguay-20140629-zspse.html
4 out of 5 TV dudes voted Colombia best Goal celebration.
The second goal was one of sublime team synergy. Nine passes led to a very unselfish header back to my man James, who finds a way to be a the right place at the right time and knocks it home. (Hey Bro, both goals should be used in soccer camps this summer.)   Write his name down, only the first. You won't need the second. With his magical play so far, he's earned One Name status.  Oh yeah, Colombia downed Uruguay 2-0. Brazil is up next on July 4 as they snuck by Chile in a game that went to Penalty Kicks.



Daily Doople Døüblégångé®

A real Dutch Superhero, Robin Van Persie and the lame superhero Ben Afleck.

wonder how much hair product it takes to do that daily.


Portugese Phrase of the Day-

"Nao tem mares, tem bares."  (We don't have beaches, but we have bars.) 
Thanks to Venue Mgr Anna in Belo Horizonte for Phrase o Day!

Full Circle.
The other day, it seemed our apartment was hosting an ad-lib party. I got the chance to chat with Leonard, one of our Audio mixers who lives in Canada, but grew up in South Africa.  I mentioned to him one of the music discoveries I found while in Johannesburg; the Springbok Nude Girls.  Not girls at all and thankfully, not really nude. I picked his brain about how a great indie rock band from South Africa had so little exposure in the US.  Lead singer Arno Carstens has created some wonderful solo projects with a matured harmony and some musical innovation in the flavor of Bowie.
http://arnocarstensmusic.wordpress.com/. It's in regular rotation in my iTunes.

The next evening, (I think that was the night before last, but whatever), I settled in to watch a movie recommended by Steve, my adventure travel Brit friend. ( remember from a few blogs ago). I told him about an epiphanic moment 7ish years ago, where I learned to take recommendations and to ride the whim of the moment.  He said, "Well, for sure, then. You  NEED to watch this movie".  So, I did. During the opening credits of the movie, I noticed familiar scenes from my 2010 moto ride along the South African coast toward the Cape of Good Hope. T'was a  nice trip down memory lane.  But it was the voice over that made me pause to ponder the moment.

 Searching for Sugarman is a movie you NEED to watch.  I can't go into too much of review here or it might ruin the movie. Just make it a point to watch it. It's a surprising story of a musician that sang to the heart of a generation of South Africans. He sold hundreds of thousands of Albums in the 70s. He was bigger than Elvis and the Stones during a time when South Africa needed him.  Yet, he's virtually unknown in the States and world wide. I'll give you a few days to watch, then we can chat.   I smiled instantly at the connections of this movie to my conversation with Leo.  Full Circle.   Moral to the story - Go with your Gut.  It has steered me into countless moments to remember.

On Tap Today:
Can superhero Van Persie save Gotham from the evil invaders of El Tri?  He'll need Robben to bring his cape.  Should be a great matchup. Dutch precision and artistry meets the passion and momentum of Mexico. Something has got to give.



140 GOALS so far ! more to come.


US plays Tuesday at 1p. Be sure to take a day off from work. tell your boss I said so.













What is your heart telling you?

~Rüstinhø

2 comments:

  1. BroZil, yes, we will be watching the Hamez (James) goals over and over. He is just a KID!!!! He can't be 22 even!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's 22. he'll be 23 for the Final. watch out, world.

    ReplyDelete