Monday, June 30, 2014

Zoro and Deniro.

Oi amigos!
hope you had a nice weekend. And the freelancers say "what's a weekend?".  Think we may get one of those 'weekend' things in a few days.

soccer volleyball on the beach.
Musicio do Dia.
http://www.last.fm/music/Gonzaguinha

Futebol Follies.
In case you were out enjoying the weather, here's what you missed yesterday- Mexico controlled, manipulated, teased and even flogged Holland for 88ish minutes. However... (you know what's coming?) Kids, ya gotta play for the FULL 90+ !!! Dutch workhorse Wesley Sneijder blasted home a volley. "Almost tore a whole in net", says Clark. That made for a few mad moments of stoppage time. It came down to Arjen Robben doing what he's trained to do- he went down in the box. Penalty Kick. Looking at the replay, it was a foul. Marquez stepped on his foot. BUT, Robben sure enhanced the fall to get the call.
Netherlands celebrate around the globe. Mexicans near and far say, "que es _ _ _ _?"  No more Miguel Herrera antics. Adios amigos. That's the way to cookie crumbles.

Daily Double Døopplégångér
French coach Didier Deschamps and Robert Deniro. You talkin to me??

later, I got to watch the Costa Rica / Greece game from one of the local beach huts.  It is quite an experience to watch a game with expats and travelers from both countries.  A full on, end to end battle, Costa Rica struck first with a Bryan Ruiz left footer to the far net.  Hey kids in soccer camp, watch this one. No need to blast it every time.  Placement over power. Costa Rica would have to wait to celebrate- Greece struggled back from the dead to tie it in the 90th minute with a goal by Alexopodapopaopsaopilovebeerslapyourgrandmastevefridayrockpapapapapappopolous.  Exhausting Extra Time and the drama Penalty Kicks would decide the victor. Costa Rica wins 5-3 on PKs. They advance to meet Holland in the quarterfinals on July 5.
Now, if the US can get by Belgium tomorrow, it would be the first time 2 teams from CONCACAF would be in the quarterfinals of the WC (®T-smith worldwide database)



While watching the game last night, I enjoyed a cold Aqua de Coco.  For only a few Brazilian real$, the dude at the Beach Hut, will grab his machete, chop the top off a coconut, stick a straw in it and hand it to you. A whole, green coconut!  It is pure, drinking enjoyment.  At home Coconut water in a fancy container will cost you three times as much. About halfway to the bottom, I asked the server for a menu by putting my hands in an open gesture. She grabbed my coconut, handed it the dude. Wielded his machete with Zoro like speed, he sliced it in half.  Holding it together until she stepped to my table,  she opened it in full display mode. The remaining coconut water went everywhere. She must have assumed I was done drinking it.  ooops.  She also left a spoon, which I had no idea what to do with. Feeling very self conscious about being a tourista, I glanced around. Nobody watching me, all eyes fixed on the game. whew.  I tried to scrape the inside of the coconut and discovered the most bitter taste since I tried cooking beans in college. Clearly, I don't know what I'm doing here.  Luckily, my buddy Regie showed up, let's change the subject.


On Tap Today:

Dusk at the beach across the street from our apts.  not a bad view, eh?



Well, thanks for the chat.
see you tomorrow.


Tchüss
~Rüuus

No comments:

Post a Comment