Friday, June 13, 2014

Luck, Rock N Roll and a Haircut.

Oi, amigos..

Sometimes, it’s better to be lucky than good. Brazil clearly stole one from Croatia yesterday and everyone knows it.  Even Argentine webstie olé.com/ar says that “Brazil started off robbing”.



I can’t figure out who is more angry, protesters outside Arena Corinthians in Sao Paolo or the Croatian players after a Penalty call in the 69th minute. It changed everything.  Watching the replay in super-slow motion, Croatia’s Lovren clearly pulled Brazil’s Fred on the shoulder. Fred did his best Vlade Divac flop on his way to the ground.  But, No way that should have been called a foul.  I expect that referee to be demoted or sent home.  Neymar put in the PK for his second goal of the game.  But, it was nearly saved). Earlier, he launched a lefty off the near post and into the net from 25 yards (or is that meters?) In the closing minutes, Oscar finished it off with a surprise toe-poke that snuck in just 2.345 centimeters from the goalkeepers’ hands.      Brazil 3, Croatia 1.    Brazil, Dokken sings for you: “ You just got lucky”.  I expect more from you next game.
At least it gives the talk shows some fodder to toss around.

What did you do to get ready for the launch of the World Cup?

I may have developed a WC tradition. Once again, I rolled the dice letting a total stranger give me a haircut.

 My extremely limited knowledge of Portugese was perfectly matched by her lack of English.  Fortunately, I am highly trained (self taught) in the art of International Charades.



Talking with my hands so much, she probably assumed I was Italian.  


The only phrase I could communicate to her in words -“DO NOT make me look like Neymar”. 






What the, What the What?
Among other items, FIFA has trademarked World Cup 2014 for use on Eye Shadow, Motor Oils, Blood Pressure Machines and Teapots.  Darn, I was just about to launch a FIFA Eye Shadow line. 
(this knowledge courtesy of T-Smith)

Speaking of starting a business… In case I haven’t had a chance to tell you, my Bro and I have joined two others to start a company designing and selling Bluetooth controlled LED belts.  They are great for runners and cyclist or anyone who wants to be seen in low light situations.  Check it out on Kickstarter-  http://kck.st/1mT9GYL,
Watch the video that I spent 4 million hours shooting and editing.
Let me know if you have any questions


Portuguese phrase of the day: Estou com fome. (I am hungry)
Don’t’ worry Shaw, Jackie, Jorge, Carly, Valdes and Esther, I just got lunch!

1.    BREAKING NEWS: #FIFA advised #USA to have their organization committee ready for 2022, in case there is no #WorldCup in #Qatar. Final decision will take place in September/October . 
Hold the presses- this just in… that’s all premature. Sure to change 5 times before I make it to press.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2095553-fifa-reportedly-tells-usa-to-be-ready-if-2022-world-cup-is-not-in-qatar

SHOUT OUT-
to our Ops Producer, Joe. He developed pneumonia, spent 5 days in the hospital, then was ordered to rest before he travels home.
Get well soon, amigo.

Our Media Manager, Frank, had to stay home sick yesterday.  We had previously bonded over our love for garlic as a Super Food.   He told me he woke up and had a Peanut Butter and Garlic sandwich for breakfast!   Knew I liked that dude for some reason.

On tap today: Mexico and Cameroon starts the day at 8:30a PDT on ESPN2. (oops, that's right NOW). It’s been a few turbulent years for El Tri.  To get their mojo back , I suggest they move on from the Jose Cuervo to something like Herradura Añejo.

After that, it’s the rematch of the decade- Spain vs Netherlands at 11:30a PDT on ESPN.  Can NOT wait for this one.  Gonna be huge.  Too many back stories- not enough blog time.  Tune in early to get up to speed.  During the game, watch for the artistry of the Dutch and the precision of Spain.  Retired Dutch legend Ruud Van Nistolroy on the set today (and most every day) to give his perspective.  

Later, at 2:30p PDT, it’s Chile and Austrailia on The Duece.  Paging Tim Cahill, please report to the goal mouth to score another brilliant header. At 5'10', he seem to out leap anyone on the pitch.  He's tough as nails.  Watch him score the fastest goal in MLS history- 

Daily Double Døpplégåaanger
Spain's Sergio Ramos vs a young Joseph Stalin.

 
The ESPN Content Associate to my direct left is K. Gonzalez, know around the biz as K-Gon.  Credit goes to him for sending the olé.com/ar link.  Earlier today, I introduced him to KGON 92.3, Portland’s Classic Rock, a strong force in my formative years.  More than a just few years younger than I, he was unimpressed.  I bet he’s never even heard Thin Lizzy. 
OK, let’s all just take a moment to Rock Out! Here, have a listen; http://player.tritonmedia.com/entercom/KGONFM

Thanks for appeasing me, that was rejuvenating.

hasta mañana, todos amigos!
Van NistolRuus

No comments:

Post a Comment