Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Bem-vindo ao Brasil !





 

-->
Bem-vindo ao Brasil ! 

You’ve just touched down at the Rio de Janeiro/Galeão–Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport.  I hope your flight was ok. No delays? Terrible food? Get cold? Well, Grab your bags, stroll through Customs/Immigration.  I’ll grab you a café com leite and meet you at the shuttle van. It’s going to be an interesting ride.

World Cup 2014 is HERE !
As usual, I will blog like there’s no tomorrow- sometimes maybe, almost daily!
 During our little voyage, I will act as your cultural conduit, offering tidbits of tantalizing trivia, distinctly divergent musical discoveries, curious culinary commentary and even some stimulating soccer stories.   Think of me as your very own Kurt Loder!

In reality, I will likely destroy most foreign languages, mix multiple metaphors and break every journalistic rule in the AP Stylebook.
I am merely a small cog in this massive machine of the Mouse. Contracting with ESPN, I am here in Rio De Jeniero for the next month editing highlights.  Sounds exciting?  Well, mostly yes and partially no.  More on that later.


-->
It's the Music, the Moment....
Working in foreign lands allows me the opportunity to experience and collect all sorts of new music. Everyday, something new flows into my ears.  Sometimes, it's from a local radio station. Sometimes, a colleague shares a hot, new band from their home country.  In 2010 in Johannesburg, I even got a great music suggestion from the woman who cut my hair at Floyd's Barber Shop!  This month is like Christmas for music lovers.   There are no limits, if someone introduces me to it, I'll pass it along to you.  We begin with Rogé, the smooth, Brazillian that you will hear regularly on our broadcasts throughout the month. Here's a taste.


Put down your drink and place your Swanson's TV dinner on the table. It’s time for....
Daily Double Doppleganger !
I'm pretty sure the 2014 World Cup Mascot, Fuleco,  is related to the mascot of all things wack!



It all starts tomorrow! Brazil hosts Croatia to launch the largest tournament in the solar system.  (2nd in the Universe only to the Pod Races on Tatooine).  Over a span of  two years, 208 teams have played 820 matches to earn the honor of representing their homelands on the world stage. During the next two weeks of Group Stage matches, 32 teams in groups of 4, play round-robin. Top two advance.  For a majority of the planet, his is March-Madness on steroids.
Tune in tomorrow at 12:30p PDT on ESPN.
Here’s a little teaser to get ya pumped, gotta watch this amazing edit:



Até amanhã, os amigos
~Russeldinho

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhh!!! IT IS BACK!!! It is time to gather for another World Cup and rejoice in Rusty's Random Ramblings. Russ having your blog back again for the the third time is like wearing an old pair of jeans. They may not fit but I keep trying them on and on again. Ugh? What I meant was an old pair of jeans is like... Dammit they still don't fit. Never mind, I will stop with the bad metaphors.

    Seriously, I always look forward to your ramblings. Your blog is informative, funny and you have allowed all of us to have a piece of the World Cup experience. I know how much time and effort you put into this and I do appreciate it!!!

    Stay safe, have fun and KEEP THEM COMING!!!!
    Jock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the kind words. have you tried washing your jeans?

      Delete
  2. From Rüsseldorf Von Lathropstein, to El Russito, Rusty Boy to RussMan- it is nice to find the latest incarnation of our literary hero Russeldinho return to the pulpit to profess the glory of yet another exciting season of late breaking futbol news- paired with a most thoughtful foray into a world rich with cultural wonders, gastronomic sensations, and pleasing melodies; whose well-spun stories will surely inspire a new generation of Lathropites.

    I have enjoyed each year's barrage of emails, tales of foreign lands, accounts of champions and of those defeated- all the while perusing a most diverse collection of Russ selfies taken in some of the most sequestered break rooms in the world. Yes friends, the season has returned, and it is time to tune in to experience Rusty's Ramblings, and to confirm the declaration that he is one lucky SOB for traipsing about the globe for a living, taking it all in, and bringing us along for the ride.

    Have a good time buddy, and if Brasilia loses, lock your doors...

    Forrest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias for the advice. the Brazil team looks less than stellar, so I will prepare for carnage in knockout stages.

      Delete